We’ve been busy these past few weeks… gutting the whole house to make way for all my new ideas for the space. This was quite a task due to the shiplap 1/2″ wood, 1/2″ concrete lath board, and a 1/2 layer of plaster, on both sides of interior walls. This all added up to a 6 inch wall. That took weeks to “disassemble”. But it will all be worth it once we start to put it all back together.
Here are some changes we’ve made to the house thus far…
Removing the spanish style arch created a lot of additional height through this main transition wall and helps to modernize the space. A small change that makes a huge difference allowing me to design more freely without being tied to a spanish aesthetic. It was a little too “Aladdin” for us.
We found some water damage on some exterior walls that will need to be fixed. But this wall will be changing a lot anyways. Adding new patio doors, 3 windows and a new header to make a larger opening in the back entry.
We gutted the basement because there was so many added rooms that just didn’t make any sense. So we are starting completely from scratch down there.
Next up is brand new plumbing/jackhammering, HVAC, and then stud walls with the new electrical following shortly after. Lots to do to prepare for trades in the next week!!